I hadn’t quite figured out what I could do with a chandelier, but as I’ve decided early on this semester, I wanted to integrate my own culture into as many projects as possible. And as long as it made sense.
As I headed down to Canal Plastics to pick up some acrylic for the project (I had thought of lasercutting them, although in what shapes I didn’t know), I stopped by the quintessential Chinese market in Soho: the Pearl River. In there (they don’t allow photos, unfortunately), I saw a variety of colorful Chinese lanterns and I knew right then I wanted to use them. I just needed to make them look like a chandelier, which, coincidentally, isn’t too far of a stretch since Chinese lanterns are hung in multitudes during the Chinese Lantern Festival, which marks the end of the Lunar New Year:
Chinese lanterns symbolize togetherness, well-being, and good fortune, having been part of the Chinese tradition for at least two thousand years.
I also need to incorporate some embroidery, so I picked out a few paper lanterns with eyelets, so I can put yarn through them. Here’s a photo of my embroidery in progress:
Since lantern were originally used as portable lights (they helped blocked candles from the wind, making them basically an ancient form of flashlights), I wanted the LEDs to mimic the flickering motions of the candle flame. To do that, I plan on modifying the “Blink” code along with the “Button” code to control it:
I’ve been writing a lot of code the past few days, and I finally got the LED to light up when I have email! Above is a photo of my components and some of my coding notes. I’m currently working on the code for the stepper motor, and will attach it to the bread board later today.
The main tutorial that’s been very helpful is this email notifier. I’ve taken their approach, but added extra code for determining how many emails there are and if that number is different from the previous count.
Hello class! I’m excited to share with you my in-progress bicycle brake light. As of now, the housing has been laser-cut and the LEDs are working with a pushbutton. This is illustrated below.
This project is inspired by the recent bicycle/driver related accidents and violence in my hometown. Here is an article describing one of the events. Its always precarious to slow down or stop suddenly while riding in heavy traffic since there is no indication of this with standard lights.
I think I will use the Adafruit tutorial for the FSR sensor which is going to be mounted on the brake lever.
I’m thinking of taking my space creator further for this week’s Arduino project. I’ve spent some time today working with an IR sensor. The most useful link I found to learn the basics of this was a distance calculation project.
Through this, I was able to switch on an LED when the sensor reads an obstacle. I also found this project which details LED-IR led arduino instructions with some helpful links.
For Project #1 i have created what I like to call the Embroidergram, derived directly from my mashup of Embroidered + Telegram. Although it seems very straightforward, having never embroidered, nor sent a telegraph, I was at a bit of a loss.
I was easily able to find out how to embroider, and found these two YouTube videos to be very novice friendly. Video #1Video #2.
I came across this telegram which was sent by Mark Twain the morning after his obituary was posted in the NY Times. As the story goes, he sent this from his hotel in London to his editor in New York. In todays age this probably would have been Tweeted. I thought it fitting for my telegram.
There she is… I was happily surprised with how this turned out. One last iteration would be to sew the edges up a bit, but I wanted to get this up for you all to see before I potentially ruin the work.