I was really excited to work on this project. After getting really complicated, I decided to keep it simple, and just use an RF transmitter, RF receiver and a tilt switch.
Here is the link to my instructable.
And my video:
Thanks for checking it out!
Michael Lee Kenney
I played with making a temperature sensor by constructing circuit #10. It was fun. So hot. So hot.
Starting November 1st, it is officially reasonable to start talking about Christmas! For my innovative switch project I decided to make a self-lighting holiday ornament. I really “broke ground” with this one. When hung on a conductive surface, the ornament lights up.
Here is how I started:
And here is how it turned out:
I decided that wasn’t a good enough story. So, late last night I had an idea. Why not turn this into a REAL holiday ornament?!? I’ve always loved Charlie Brown’s Christmas Story, and I’ve always wanted a Charlie Brown tree of my own.
After a quick trip to Michael’s, I started fabricating…
And then, it was all done 🙂
All about them photoresistors. They are fun. I recorded this video on slow mo, at 240 nFPS. so that I could capture the PWM in action. I think there is something wrong with my RGB LED. Will have to troubleshoot at school tomorrow.
This project was a lot of fun but also a lot of work. I started by creating a paper mockup that I turned into a pattern. After cutting and sewing it all together, I rigged it with 4 LED’s; one for the lure, and three for the back.
If I had to do it all over again, I would work a little harder on the prototypes so that I could have a better pattern to work from.
Here are some process photos:
A monkey that’s the color of a banana? Crazy.
I don’t read sheet music. I tried to learn how from a 10 minute video, but it turns out that a 10 minute video doesn’t make you proficient enough to decode your favorite 80’s song. So, I turned to the giants that came before me. I found a sweet James Bond theme sketch and a tone library. The volume for the “song” is controlled by a potentiometer, and I have admit, that fade really made me feel like a DJ 🙂
What I liked about digging into someone else’s tutorial was figuring out the mechanics for building and loading custom libraries to Arduino. What a powerful addition to my skill set!
Here it is in action:
Well, that went swimmingly. Unfortunately, my RGBLED was a dud. I wired up the circuit diagram, tried two different sets of code, and two different LEDs. Alas, no luck. I will be inquiring as to why. Stay tuned.