Felix and I have planned our aquaponic system. We are using a steel wire rack as the base. We will have a 20 gallon fish tank with two 10 gallon (36″x18″x6″) grow beds for a 1:1 fish tank to plant bed ratio. We will use a Four outlet power relay module to control the pump, grow light and fish food. This relay module will the control center of the operation. With this we can control remotely when the plants are watered, receive light and when the fish are fed. We are currently in the process of procuring everything we need for the project.
Here is our working Instructables tutorial
I am looking at this tutorial: https://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Arduino-Controlled-Aquaponic-System/
Felix, Helen Marko and I are going to work on it the aquaponic farm.
BOM from the tutorial:
25mm polypropolene tank fitting
1 off. 25mm female threaded fitting
1 off. short length* ~100mm length of pvc pipe. note that this length is critical in determining the top level of the water during the flood cycle.
1 length off 50mm PvC pipe
1 off. 50mm Pvc endcap
90mm PVC pipe
90mm end cap
1 off. 25mm male threaded fitting
1 off. 25mm 90 deg elbows
2 off. short lengths of 25mm pvc pipe to join fittings
2 off. 25mm 90 deg elbows
1 off. 25mm ‘T’ fitting
1 off. 25mm female threaded adapter
2 off. 25mm threaded male to 19mm barbed hose fitting (poly propylene)
2 off. 25mm end caps
2 off. 25mm pvc pipe cut to 200mm (depends on width of your grow bed)
various short lengths of 25mm pvc pipe to join fittings
1 off. 50mm polypropolene tank fitting
1 off. 50mm female threaded adapter
ATX power supply
Whoa! It’s like you have a hole in your chest!! Nice!!!
- Shortbread cookie tin with cookies
- 2x acrylic one sided glass same diameter as cookie tin
- Electroluminescent tape
- 4xAAA battery inverter
- Black hoodie
- Eat the shortbread cookies
- Laser cut the one sided glass into circles
- Stick EL tape to inside of the walls of the tin
- Rivet the tin to the suspenders
- Glue the mirrors into place
- Cut hole slightly smaller than the tin into the chest of the sweatshirt
- Punch holes every 1/2″ into the lid of the tin
- Sew lid to sweatshirt.
- Don the infinity mirror and blow everyone’s mind and induce barely-audible chuckles
In the future:
- Use more robust housing than the tin such as ply wood.
- Make a second one on the back
Much fun during the parade!
- One way glass
- Electroluminescent tape
- Shortbread cookie tin
- Laser cut the acrylic to 10″ diameter circles
- Spray paint cookie tin black
- Attach EL tape to inside of cookie tin
- Program the Arduino following this tutorial: https://www.instructables.com/id/Control-EL-Wire-with-an-Arduino/
Status: I just received the one way glass in the mail, I am still waiting for the EL tape, and I still need to source the relay.
My three Halloween proposals are as such. I was initially leaning towards the piano neck tie. It would light up each key as if it were playing Clair de Lune by Debussy. Unfortunately, I do not know that song and I cannot play the piano. The fire hydrant is entertaining to think about, but I think it will attract the wrong kind of attention. Instead, I will be making the center one. It incorporates an infinity mirror apparatus that gives an impression that there is a hole going through the wearer’s chest.